|Position Title:||Senior Project Assistant|
|Duty Station:||Baku, Azerbaijan|
|Classification:||General Service Staff, G6|
|Type of Appointment:||One Year Fixed Term, one year with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date:||06 August 2020|
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
In 2001 Government of Azerbaijan became an IOM member state through the formalization of a friendly cooperation agreement. With the overall mandate of promoting a humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all, IOM works through technical assistant to government/non-government agencies and migrants on a wide range of areas such as i) counter trafficking, ii) border management, iii) prevention of irregular migration, in particular human smuggling and human trafficking, iv) facilitation of migration dialogue, v) assisted voluntary return and reintegration and vi) migration, environment degradation and climate change.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, with direct supervision of Project Officer, in close coordination with the Regional Technical Specialist based at the Regional Office in Vienna, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing support to Project Officer in the implementation of the counter-trafficking activities of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of project activities.
- Organize meetings, workshops, and training sessions; prepare training materials and participate in the delivering of capacity building workshops.
- Draft correspondence on project issues; prepare and update reports, briefing notes, graphics, statistical tables, and other forms of documentation.
- Monitor budget implementation and propose adjustments, as necessary.
- Monitor work of implementing partners and report any non-compliance to the
- Participate in meetings and conferences; maintain effective liaison and coordination with local authorities, partners, United Nation agencies, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, donors and other stakeholders relevant to the project.
- Provide logistical support and coordinate travel and events, including conferences, meetings, trainings, missions and take detailed notes/minutes when implementing project activities.
- Provide inputs for the development of Standard Operations Procedures (SOP) and concept papers and provide general support for the development of new projects.
- Act as focal point for administrative coordination of project implementation, involving extensive liaison with diverse organizational units and external parties to initiate requests, obtain necessary clearances, follow-up on administrative actions, etc.
- Draft status reports; identify shortfalls in delivery, bring them to the attention of the supervisor and suggest corrective measures.
- Travel on field missions whenever possible and required by any activity planned under the counter trafficking project.
- Maintain systematic filing of the project related documents (reports, letters, administrative documents, etc.) on a regular basis.
- Provide support to the informal translation of information (reports, fact sheets, presentations, legislative and policy documents, presentations etc.) relating to human trafficking and migration (Azerbaijani to English or vice-versa) as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Completed secondary/high school education with at least 6 years of relevant work experience in the area of project implementation and reporting, or;
- University degree in Law, International Relations, Political Science, Social Science from an accredited academic institution with 4 years relevant work experience in the above fields.
- Experience in project coordination and implementation.
- Experience in handling contracts and financial management.
- Experience in writing donor reports.
- Knowledge of project monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions.
- Solid knowledge of PCs and MS Office Software (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, etc.);
- Prior experience of working within the UN Common System or in an international/non-governmental organization a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English and Azerbaijani is required. Working knowledge of Russian or Turkish is advantageous
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application including the most recent CV with a motivation letter in English by indicating name of the position applied with its VN number in the subject line of the e-mail to email@example.com by the end of 06 August 2020.
Please note that only CVs with motivation letter will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
From 23.07.2020 to 06.08.2020