Project Title: Support to the Ministry of Health to strengthen healthcare procurement system in the country
Title: Project Manager
Organizational Unit: UNDP Azerbaijan
Duty station: Baku, Azerbaijan
Type of contract: 1 year service contract with possibilities for extension
Azerbaijan makes major public health care efforts to prevent and eliminate diseases, and to develop healthcare system and medical industry, on its way towards global level standards.
The Government of Azerbaijan is committed to fight against HIV/AIDS and other communicable and non-communicable diseases and funds the majority of the justice relevant programmes. The most important factor is the steady increase of domestic investments in health care which is the basis for sustainable work of the healthcare systems. Within the State Health Programme, priority is placed, inter alia, on the control of HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, acute respiratory diseases and sexually transmitted infections. It is well noted that the Programme will improve funding of the pharmaceutical provisions for the cancer, viral hepatitis, tuberculosis, diabetes, haemophilia and other patients.
Medicines and medical supplies are important to address health issues and improve the quality of life. They are an integral part of the disease prevention, diagnostics and treatment, as well as a solution of the disability-related and functional limitations’ problems. Improvement of access to the essential medicines and medical supplies is of critical importance for achievement of the universal coverage with healthcare services and is recognized as an essential component of effective healthcare systems.
Cost-sharing of medicines procurement for the HIV/AIDS service is of special importance as the Global Fund which had provided the HIV/AIDS Grants since 2005, provided its last transitional grant to Azerbaijan so that the country moves to the full government financing of its HIV/AIDS programme starting from 2020. The country must gradually move to funding of all activities which were covered by the Global Fund.
Based on successful implementation of the previous several procurement agreements with other Ministries in the country, UNDP, Ministry of Health (MOH) decided to sign a framework agreement on procurement for the HIV/AIDS and TB medicines in 2018.
Background for PM
The Project Manager (PM) will be a locally recruited national candidate selected based on an open competitive process. He/She will be tasked with day-to-day management of project activities, as well as with substantive, financial and administrative reporting. PM will be responsible for project implementation, routine management and monitoring. His/her responsibility is to ensure that the planned outputs are produced by undertaking necessary activities in accordance with the project plan and meeting the required standards of quality and within specified constraints of time and cost.
The PM will report to the UNDP-Azerbaijan Programme Associate (or other duly designated UNDP officer) for all of the project’s substantive and administrative issues. The PM will be responsible for meeting government obligations under the project and will perform a liaison role with the Government, UNDP and other UN Agencies, NGOs and other project partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with UNDP, Ministry of Health and other relevant agencies, and all project partners, including donor organizations and NGOs for effective coordination of all project activities;
- Supervise and coordinate the production of project outputs, as per the project document;
- Provide day to day management, coordination and supervision of the project, its human and financial resources;
- Mobilize all project inputs in accordance with UNDP procedures for nationally executed projects;
- Ensure the timely and effective implementation of all components of the project;
- Ensure the proper use of project resources;
- Prepare Annual Work plans in advance of each successive year and submit them to the UNDP for approval;
- Lead and arranges the recruitment of project professional and support staff in line with laid out recruitment process;
- Monitor progress of the project according to the work plan and inform UNDP in advance of any foreseeable delays;
- Control and monitor project expenditures and ensure management of the resources as approved;
- In close cooperation with UNDP, make proposal on predictable changes, real amendments to the work plan and budget preparation;
- Maintain close contacts with UNDP indicating foreseeable changes in the annual work plan and proposing realistic amendments and budget revisions;
- Preparing of the project procurement plan, and coordinate the procurement of services and goods under the project;
- Oversee and ensure timely submission of all project reports, including technical reports, quarterly financial reports, and other reports as may be required by UNDP, and other oversight agencies;
- Work with UNDP to complete the annual project reporting exercise;
- Maintain project inventory and ensure timely transfer of assets procured in the framework of the project to the beneficiary agencies.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches – Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor.
- Stays calm and maintains composure under stress or during a crisis, keeping disruptive emotions under control
- Adapts flexibly to changing situations, overcomes obstacles and recovers quickly from set-backs
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively
- Is realistic about own limits using support mechanisms as needed and maintaining an appropriate work-life balance
- Senses the emotions of others, understanding their perspective, taking an active interest in their concerns
- Fosters a positive outlook and maintains focus during period of stress and heavy work load, inspiring and guiding others towards goal achievement
- Creates a climate of enthusiasm and flexibility, where people feel encouraged to give their best
- Stands up to group pressure, not giving in out of a desire to please or to avoid confrontation and conflict
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing – Developing tools and mechanisms
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies new approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments;
- Have effective interpersonal and negotiations skills and ability to coordinate complex, multi-stakeholder projects and be able to think in a strategic manner on complex and difficult projects;
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Anticipates client needs;
- Works towards creating an enabling environment for a smooth relationship between the clients and service provider;
- Demonstrates understanding of client’s perspective.
- Master’s degree in management, social, technical sciences and other related fields;
- At least 5 years of experience in project implementation and/or coordination;
- Proven experience in budgeting, planning and reporting on foreign funded projects; and experience with international auditing requirements;
- Previous experience in large scale procurement and purchasing;
- Knowledge of UN procurement procedures is advantage;
- Experience in working with ministries and national institutions in Azerbaijan;
- Experience in effectively coordinate a large, multi-stakeholder project;
- Experience in administering budgets, train and work effectively with counterpart staff at all levels and with all groups involved in the project;
- Strong drafting, presentation and reporting skills;
- Strong computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package and internet search;
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English and Azerbaijani.