Azerbaijan is considered to be part of Vavilov’s Asia Minor center of origin of cultivated plants.
In general, the wild relatives of cultivated crops in Azerbaijan are genetically diverse, locally adapted and represent a potential source of genes and alleles for adapting crops to the ever-changing environmental conditions and human needs of the country.
The project seeks to: (i) improve the protection of viable populations of indigenous wild relatives of crops and local landraces in their natural habitats; (ii) augment the conservation of indigenous wild relatives of crops and local landraces in plant gene banks to ensure an adequate source of genetic resources for plant breeding; and (iii) increase the production, and extent of use, of local landraces in agricultural small holdings and commercial farms.
The project will be implemented in three regions – Sheki, Goranboy and Goychay. Within these three rayons, the project will further focus on selected crop wild relatives, cultivated native species and cultivated landraces of wheat, vegetable and forage crops.
The project has been structured into three complementary components.
The first component will seek to expand the state of knowledge of agro-biodiversity, enhance the conservation of this agro-biodiversity and increase the intensity and extent of use native crops in the agricultural sector in the three project regions.
The second component will seek to build the capacities of, and improve the collaboration and cooperation between, agricultural institutions and small farmers in order to improve agricultural productivity and reduce land degradation using native crops (i.e. the targeted crop species) in the three project regions.
The third component will seek to strengthen incentives that encourage the planting of, and improve access to commercial markets for agricultural products derived from, the targeted native crop species across the three regions.
Scope of work
- Undertake user requirements specification for the GIS/data management system.
- Design and implementation a suitable and scalable GIS data repository platform and SDI.
- Collect, collate and manage all spatial data sets for the project
- Undertake demarcation/mapping of project area including mini-reserves
- To digitize a demographic, soil classification, land use and erosion maps based on materials provided by project consultant
- Develop project rayon’s agrobiodiversity map
- Mapping of relevant stakeholders
- Responsible for map generation from technical studies
- Undertake other relevant tasks assigned by the NPC
|1||Development of the GIS data management system||April-July, 2018|
|2||Collect, collate and manage all spatial data sets for the project||April-December, 2018|
|3||Map of the project area including mini-reserves||May-June, 2018|
|4||Digitalized maps on demographic, soil classification, land use and erosion||June-September, 2018|
|5||Develop project rayon’s agrobiodiversity map||September-December, 2018|
Monitoring: The National GIS expert will be an experienced national expert and will report to National Project Coordinator (NPC). He/She will work with the Project team and local/international experts. During the contract period the working days: 100 days.
Qualifications and Competencies
- At least three years of professional GIS experience in conducting GIS project(s) involving data management, map production, and spatial analysis. (25 points)
- Good knowledge of GIS applications; (25 points)
- Practical experience in database-system application development and strong analytical skills to evaluate and review database; (30 points)
- Methodology/approach to work (20 points)
- Previous working experience in the relevant field with international organizations is desirable.)
- Good interpersonal and training skills are an advantage
- Good organizational, time management and facilitation.
- A working knowledge of spoken and written of Azeri and English is required, including the ability to draft and edit project documents.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular mastery of all applications of the MS Office package.
Selection criteria: 1. Lowest price and technically compliant offer
- For more details please see procurement notice
Terms of Payment:
Payment will be done in four instalments and based on completion of deliverables.
- 1 instalment – 20% advance payment, after signature of the contract (April, 2018)
- 2 instalment – 30% – deliverable 1, 2, 3 (July, 2018)
- 3 instalment – 30% – deliverable 4 (September, 2018)
- 4 instalment – 20% – deliverable 5 (December, 2018)
Financial proposal should be done as a lump sum in consideration of supposed travels to the Project area. The breakdown is necessary. Daily allowance for internal travel is 92$ per day.
Total no of days in the field: 20 days. No international travel is expected.