Organizational Unit: FEAZE
Type of Requisition: PSA (Personal Services Agreement)
Grade Level: N/A
Duration: 120 working days
Post Number: N/A
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan
Melek Cakmak, Head of Office
- UTF/AZE/010 – Improvement of Cattle Production through Establishment of Effective Cattle Breeding and Feeding System
- UTF/AZE/009 – Development and application of sustainable sheep production and food value chains
The UTF/AZE/010 and UTF/AZE/009 projects will focus on the structural and institutional improvement of cattle and sheep production through establishment of effective female cattle breeding and feeding systems. Current meat and milk production levels in the country are estimated to be less than half of the potential for existing animals and assets. This is partially caused by lack of feeding. Forage, silage productions, and access to as well as appropriate use of concentrated animal feed, crop residues and agro-industrial by products have not kept pace with levels needed to improve animal productivity and increase production to meet market needs.
The pasture productivity levels vary depending on region, but are generally low due to limited or lack of proper management (e.g. rotation, fertilization, irrigation, etc.). Since the feeding strategies applied, mainly rely on the use of pastures and meadows measures to improve them and the managing the rational use them will benefit the production of meat and milk production. At present any substantial increase the production levels has to come from the increase of feed production in arable land or through an increase in the productivity of pastures. A reduction in total livestock numbers while increasing the yield per animal would reduce the pressure on both natural pastures and land that can be used for arable crops. A sustainable solution is the production of silage (e.g. maize silage, alfa-alfa silage, mixed silages) that are rich in energy and protein and that can improve the productivity of the animals.
Unfortunately, most farms are not using silage or are there are inefficiencies in production and storage. Lessons learned from other transition economies have showed that the correct use of fodder, concentrate, and silage in the rations of livestock can guarantee high levels of production. There is a need to develop a pilot forage and silage production demonstration site. The aim is to train farmers and technicians on feed, fodder and silage productions from seeding to the final product as well as appropriate use of crop residues and agro-industrial by products
Tasks and responsibilities:
Under the overall coordination of project LTO and FAPP manager the national consultant on feed production will undertake the following:
- Provide practical monitoring and technical assistance on cattle and sheep feed production, storage and provision to the association members, small householders, and farmers
- Assist the international consultant in conducting field missions including assessments and interviews , training extension services staff, smallholders, and mid-size farmers on production, processing, and marketing of feed, silage fodders, agriculture industrial by products and concentrate;
- Provide assistance to extension services (fodder crops, crop processing, fodder conservation, silage, agro-industrial by products, and feeding cattle management) in targeted areas;
- Prepare extension material and technical and other reports, monthly or as required;
- Provide backstopping support for timely implementation of projects activities;
- Perform any other related tasks as requested
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Degree in feed production, feed management or other relevant field of expertise;
- At least three years of professional working experience in livestock projects and rural development
- Professional working experience in feed production in similar environments;
- National of Azerbaijan or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Experience with working in a participatory manner and in different working environments;
- Familiarity with FAO’s work and procedures in development assistance and project management;
- Excellent command of verbal and written English and Azeri language;
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, and PPT) and use of Internet is required;
- Female specialists will be given priority in the case of equal level competencies
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
• FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
• Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
• Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted.
• Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
• For other issues, visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT